I Create Marketing Programs
because you need something more than a facebook page
I believe in an approach that has proven successfull over time: if you figure out your customer, understand the competitive environment and define your offering, you can connect your brand with the right consumers both emotionally and behaviorally and build the right marketing ecology.
- Primary & Secondary Research
- Analytics and Insights
- Persona Development
- Competitive Analysis
- Trends & Best Practices
- Tactic Development & Distrobution
- CRM, eMail, & Acquisition
- Mobile Marketing & Applications
- Social Strategy & Programs
Identity & Branding
- Discovery & Trends
- Logo Development
- Product Launch
- Brand Ecology
- Awareness Measurement
Let's have a little fun with Marketing
I love digital marketing.
It's a tough life, I know. I love the fact that everything is constantly changing. Fluid. Dynamic. New platforms and technologies. I get to see, play with and break shiny new things all the time. I get to study consumers' behaviors and learn about their unmet needs. I get to develop insights. I learn what people like and don't like. And develop more insights. Then I get to build programs with what I learn. Programs that will help you reach your goals.
He is creative in his approach and does all the necessary research and development to make sure all his ideas are sound.
I have goals too. I want your product to be the first one picked off the shelf. Or your show to be the one people can't wait to watch. Or your beer the one they ask for first at their favorite bar. I want your brand to be in consumers' heads - not in a crazy, stalking kind of way, more of a 'this makes my life just that much better' kind of way. Who knows, maybe it needs to be disruptive - like a stick of dynamite. For me it's all about the experience, and helping a brand fulfill a promise. I figure out the reasons why and then create/build/launch. I help make brands memorable. Interact, engage and acquire.
But most important, I help connect brands with consumers. It's a passion.
When I need a reliable digital mind to get a project off the ground, or hatch out the next business idea Geoff will continue to be one of the first people I'll contact.
Let's talk like people for a moment...
Where I'm from is a longer answer than anyone really needs to read here. Short version - born near Lake Ontario, spent some childhood time in Wyoming and was a bored teen in North Carolina. My adult life has me firmly planted on the east coast, along the way setting up shop in Boston, New York, Atlanta, and now back in New York as a proud resident of the East Village.
I've got a couple great passions in my life and they all keep me busy in my spare moments. Most of the time, my brain is occupied with photography, good food, snowboarding, travel and a childlike curiousity for technology. I love it even more when I get to blend those into my workday and get that moment where it doesn't feel like a job.
But contrary to popular belief, I'm not a digital native. The web was embryonic when I graduated college (28.8 modems were common) and cell phones were the size of brief cases. My first job was as an intern in a very small agency. We did radio, tv, and print ads for local businesses, nothing glamorous, but it was fun. Somewhere in the late 90s, a shift happened and the web became the rage. Since then, I've been part of acquisitions, layoffs, a cancelled IPO, bubbles bursting and silicon alleys & valleys rising, falling, and rising again.
It's been a great ride and I know its far from over. Now on with the show.
Clients and Work
a sampling of some Brands & projects over the years
my life, reduced to 837 words
The digital version, slightly easier on the eyes
Digital marketing and strategy director with more than 12 years agency and client experience developing marketing & business solutions in the entertainment, sports, technology, and CPG industries.
- Strategic brand and product positioning
- Qualitative and quantitative consumer research
- Email and customer acquisition
- Social media strategy and planning
- Comprehensive, integrated brand and product launch campaigns
- Market and competitive intelligence
- Audience identification and analysis
- In-depth persona and insight development
- Senior level presentation development and delivery
- Team leadership and development
- Personal passion for and knowledge of new and developing technologies
- Translate business objectives to focused, creative and measurable marketing goals, strategies and tactics.
- Utilize deep understanding of consumers and their use of all media to deliver innovative marketing solutions.
- Serve as a thought leader and resource for management teams in the development of insight driven digital strategies from opportunity identification through to development and launch.
- Manage the launch of digital marketing properties, including websites, mobile applications, social and commerce.
- Utilize strong understanding of trends and best practices in digital marketing and measurement to lead innovation.
- Develop and execute integrated marketing programs that stretch across multiple touchpoints, including digital, traditional, event, OOH and retail.
- Mentor direct reports, reviewed past accomplishments and areas for improvement, established goals and expectations.
- Listen, challenge and collaborate to develop the best possible work, ideas and results.
- Xbox Live
- Verizon Wireless
- PGA Tour
- 20th Century Fox
- Syfy Channel
- WE tv
- Time Inc
- Campbell's Soup Co
- Barilla Pasta
- Michigan State University
- Burton Snowboards
- Museum of Fine Arts
- Bailey's Irish Cream – created digital strategy and online consumer campaign that generated over 1M visitors through online advertising and targeted email to contest site and increased database registrations by over 300%.
- XBox – developed campaign strategies and tactics that helped propel it to the #2 ranked console and exceeded Xbox Live subscription goal by 137%.
- NHL.com – managed production and launch of NHL.com's eCommerce site and created supporting online marketing programs including online advertising, SEO/SEM and email that increased online sales by over 300% from the previous year.
- Verizon Wireless – led acquisition campaign strategy for Verizon's VCAST services which exceeded purchase and revenue projections by 246%
- Campbell's Soup Company – developed consumer insights and strategies that resulted in retention programs and site enhancements for CampbellsKitchen.com, which in turn increased on-site registrations by 200%.
- NBA – designed and conducted qualitative research programs that led to the development of CRM programs that increased League Pass subscriptions by 200%.
- Syfy Channel – directed agency relationship, oversaw budgets and creative production; provided strategic recommendations and opportunities that resulted in a 240% growth in total client billings.
- WE tv – developed social media strategy and guidelines that accelerated growth and increased user engagements of WE tv's social properties.
- Led new business efforts to key decisions makers for major US companies including 20th Century Fox, Hasbro, Sesame Street, NASCAR, and NBA to secure more than $25MM in revenue.
Independent Digital Strategy & Online Brand Consultant
Alexander Interactive, PCH.com, Big Fuel, Michigan St Univ, JWALK
June 2010 - Present
New York, NY
Sept 2009 - June 2010
New York, NY
Account Director/Senior Strategist
Feb 2008 - July 2009
New York, NY
Outerbox Studios, LLC
Digital Strategy Director/Client Partner
Nov 2003 - Feb 2008
Atlanta, GA and New York, NY
Interactive Brand Strategist (Contact)
Feb 2003 - Nov 2003
New York, NY
Interactive Brand Manager
May 2000 - Jan 2003
New York, NY
Ark Studios/ZEFER Corp
Jan 1997 - May 2000
Steven Reid Associates
Jan 1995 - Dec 1996
University of North Carolina at Greensboro
Bachelor of Science, Marketing
Bachelor of Science, Psychology
Associations and Honors
- Member, AIGA Professional Association for Design
- Member, American Marketing Association (AMA)
- Member, American Association of Advertising Agencies (AAAA)
- Member, Mobile Marketing Association (MMA)
- 2009 WMA, Best of Industry: Entertainment Website – Syfy Channel Warehouse 13
- 2008 WMA, Best of Industry: TV Website – Syfy Channel, Ghost Hunters
- 2007 Webby Award – Verizon Wireless, Pirates of the Caribbean
- 2003 Echo Leader Awards: Interactive Media – Xbox Live
- 2003 Gold EFFIE: Internet Services – MSN “Butterfly”
- Proficient in all office applications.
- Skilled in Adobe Creative Suite: Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Dreamweaver (and basic HTML/CSS), After Effects and Fireworks.
- Familiar with both Mac and PC platforms.